Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Kenneth

Kenneth was my boyfriend when I was a teenager, and after a long absence in my life we met up about four years ago. He is still a sarcastic bastard but his taste in music was aways worth paying attention to. Now, if only I had a recent photo to show you...


You haven't made this easy at all. I haven't go much time on, so I dare say I'll kick myself after I send it for forgetting something very obvious.

1. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Live at Hyde Park - 2004
If it had a roof it would have been lifted into the atmosphere. Arguably the best ever live album (and I will argue with you if you want). The introduction simply sets the scene for a thunderous experience. Play it loud, it's the only way.
Favourite Track - By The Way

2. The Streets - Original Pirate Material - 2002
My wife frowns on me with this. Allegedly I'm too old, it's too modern and it makes no sense. Typical reaction for those who do not listen to the whole thing. "Geezers Need Excitement" does a fabulous job of depicting a lot of what is wrong with the yob culture we see daily..It's simplicity in construction is obvious, the samples are clear plagiarism, but the way they are worked by Mike Skinner is a lesson to all on how to take what you are good at and stick to it. I also love the idea of it being recorded in his bathroom (urban myth probably but great imagery).
Favourite Track - Geezers Need Excitement

3. Prince - Purple Rain - 1984
His musical ability simply amazed me with this album. Lets not talk about the movie though. He set the bar at a very high level with this and only really got close to matching it with Sign o' The Times. To pick a favourite is difficult, but considering what I was getting up to in 1984, it is a rather obvious choice.
Favourite Track - Lets Go Crazy

4. Christy Moore - Ride On - 1984
The same year as my previous choice, but a world apart. No change that, it's a universe apart. For the purist, you may say that I should go for a Planxty album, but CM's solo stuff is just so moving without the complexities of Planxty. The emotion of his voice just shins through on every track. And my favourite track is about the best fun one man and a guitar can have with a 10,000 strong audience singing back at him.
Favourite Track - Lisdoonvarna

5. Neil Young - After the Gold Rush - 1970
A great song writer and a haunting voice. A fabulous story teller and relaxed guitar style. A rebel and humanitarian. This album has it all.
Favourite Track - Southern Man

6. Finley Quaye - Maverick A Strike - 1997
I know summer is here when this one comes out. It reminds me of sitting the balcony of my old flat look out over the woods until the small hours. OK so it may get a little contrived at times and a little self indulgent, but aren't we all. The perfect accompaniment to a bottle of wine and balmy night.
Favourite Track - Sunday Shining

7. U2 - Boy - 1980
This is where it all started and I have to admit I didn't get it at first. But it hit me a few years later and working my way back through the catalogue (as most did after The Joshua Tree) this one shows exactly what they were on about. It is so simple, 4 blokes, 3 instruments, bloke at the front who can sing. Why mess with it, unfortunately, they did, but they have learned. The first track set the scene, not only for the album, but what was about to follow.
Favourite Track - I Will Follow

8. Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams - 2005
I simply know that I will be listening to this forever. It's not ground breaking, it's not big, it's not flash, but it is beautiful.
Favourite Track - Better Together

9. Enigma - MCMXC - 1990
The most chilled out piece of music ever produced. Which is actually quite surprising because it's complicated, it overlaps everywhere, it's intricate and some of the arrangements should never work (Gregorian chants with a bass line). It is very soothing and played with no background noise, will make you forget anything bad in a day. Now in case anyone is taking this seriously, yes I am aware of the alleged blasphemous and sexual connotations associated with the album, I don't care.

10. Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues - 1990
The formula is old, but the result is fantastic.


But how many more are there?

Tears for Fears, Songs from the Big chair.
Billy Joel, Innocent Man.
Christy Moore, Ordinary Man.
The Jam, All Mod Cons.
U2, Unforgettable Fire
Wet Wet Wet, Memphis Sessions (See Pop was good).
Al Stewart, Year of the Cat.

They are just what I was thinking of on the way in on the train.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home