Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Eileen (aka Nelly)


Eileen is my oldest friend. We have actually known each other for over twenty-five years, and have been best mates for more than twenty. Weirdly we now live near each other in Melbourne so the old friendship has continued, with conversations about nothing, Bollywood dance classes and pop concerts (Kylie here we come - to Orlando and Kelvin's despair).


This was sooo hard. Getting to nine was easy, but then having space for only one more was a killer. Finally decided at 10.40pm last night. Here goes - no particular order.

1. Face Value - Phil Collins (1981)
Probably the most played album during my teenage years. Reminds me of loads of things during those years (especially Aidan & John), but 'In the Air Tonight' instantly transports me back to a boat on the Shannon river with fabulous friends and fabulous weather. Very disappointed that Healybums left this off his list.
Favourite Song: ' If leaving me is easy' (written by Collins in the days before he discovered it's easy to leave other people!)

2. Fumbling Towards Ectasy - Sarah McLachlan (1993)
Listen to this album and you'll understand why Sarah has sold more records than Madonna. It's true! An amazing artist with a voice that is truly an instrument. If you get the chance to see her in concert, go. The first time I saw her live was as the support act for The Chieftains here at Hamer Hall. Watching a Chieftains' audience reaction to Ice Cream was hilarious.
Favourite Song: 'Fear'. Warning: the first time you hear it, it'll probably sound like someone screeching. Bear with me, listen again and you'll be hooked.

3. Once Upon A Time - Simple Minds (1985)
One of the best pop rock albums ever made. Nothing more to be said.
Favourite Song: Sanctify Yourself.

4. Deep Forest - World Mix (1993)
Not sure if this one will be allowed. It might be considered a compilation but the songs are not available on individual albums so I've included it. Recording studios are few and far between in the Brazilian rainforest! Fascinating, beautiful, world music.
Favourite Song: Sweet Lullaby. Reminds me of returning to Australia after my first trip back to Ireland in 1994. Kelvin had it playing in the car after picking me up from the airport at 8.00am on a sunny Saturday morning in Melbourne. The sun was beaming down, the streets were tree-lined and clean. It reminds me how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful place.

5. City of Angels - from the Motion Picture City of Angels (1998)
Forget the movie, this is a quality soundtrack which goes from brilliant song to brilliant song. U2, Alanis Morrisette, Jimi Hendrix, Paula Cole, Peter Gabriel, Sarah McLachlan, etc. See what I mean.
Favourite Song: Sorry but couldn't choose between two.
The Goo Goo Dolls singing 'Iris' was the reason I pulled this CD out so had to include that one. (Ronan Keating should be shot for his version!).
And then I remembered 'Angel' by Sarah McLachlan (When she sang this song to end her live show, it is the only time I've been in an audience where you could literally hear a pin drop. The audience was mesmerised.)

6. Temple of Low Men - Crowded House (1988)
I'm a Crowdie at heart. Love the poppiness, the cheekiness and Finn's brilliant songwriting. The album reminds being of their last concert on the Sydney Opera House steps where everyone was in tears.
Favourite Song: Into Temptation.

7. The Sound of White - Missy Higgins (2004)
A brilliant offbeat Aussie star! Played to death over the airwaves here in Oz but so good that I still love it. It was probably the Christmas CD in 05/06 so every Australian household is sure to have a copy. M, if you don't have one, I have a spare - a gift at Christmas!
Favourite Song: The Special Two

8. Flutterby - Butterfly Boucher (2004)
First came across this artist when she supported Sarah McLachlan. Amazing songs which draw you in. Desperately waiting for her second album.
Favourite Song: Another White Dash. My ultimate driving song. I've been known to repeat this six or seven times in a row when I'm driving! Especially on sunny Saturday mornings. (Drives hubby mad)

9. Us - Peter Gabriel (1992)
Amazing album. Every song is a masterpiece with a couple of the most hauntingly beautiful ballads ever. Peter at his best.
Favourite Song: Blood of Eden. Everytime I hear this song I have to stop and listen. It's stunning.

10. Kick - INXS (1987)
INXS at their funkiest and best. Their best album ever - not a bad song on it.
Favourite Song: Need You Tonight. Still remember the first time I heard this song (and saw Michael Hutchence) on Top of the Pops about 20 years ago.. Loved it from that day to this. (Duh, duh, duh, da na na na na na na na. - sing along!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home