Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Bernard


My brother has always been a serious influence on my own musical tastes, since his DJ-ing days of the eighties. He introduced me to soul, George Benson, Boz Scaggs and old Billy Joel. I did my best for him too: I gave him "Triumph" by the Jacksons for his 21st birthday present and it only narrowly missed out being in my own top ten.

He feeds his children everything from showtunes to vintage disco, so the legacy continues. He is standing for Irish parliament next year, so I chose a suitable sober picture to go with his contribution.


It's quite a hard task.(not in any particular order) but here goes:

(1) STORMFRONT Billy Joel
This stirs up memories of living in Long Island, USA. I had a boat at the same time as my "neighbor" Billy Joel. "Downeaster Alexa" captures the smell of the bay and "Leningrad" is probably the finest song he has ever written.

(2) NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS Sex Pistols 1977
Many would have bought this album in "golden discs" or "dolphin discs" in Dublin, just to ask some pimply young shop assistant for it by name. "Pretty Vacant" stills roars of the energy that was surging through the streets at that time. F**king brilliant !

(3) BLUE PACIFIC Michael Franks 1993
Give this a listen and you will be hooked to this genius. Again, memories of living in the States. "The art of love" is a cracker and "On the inside" reminds me on lying in my pool in New York.

(4) PLANXTY Planxty 1973
The best traditional Irish music album I have ever bought. The opening "Raggle taggle gypsy" track is classic Planxty. Pity I hate Christy Moore's politics so much(f**kin commie)

(5) THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST Bowie 1972
Bowie at his best. One of the best "concept" albums of all time. "Starman" stills sounds new and fresh. I still feel Bowie and I are the best of friends! Must give him a call soon....

(6) RUMOURS Fleetwood Mac 1977
This is American music at its best. Smooth and well produced. "You make loving fun" reminds me of how I fancied Rose O'Brian, who lived around the corner from me. I can still smell the cool-pop I sprayed on her hair, after chasing her down the lane. (Just thinking..I was 17 at the time !!)

(7) CAROUSEL (Rogers & Hammerstein) Official Broadway Cast 1956
My two kids think this is a new record and love it just as much as me. "You'll never walk alone" still can bring tears to my eye.

(8) FUMBLING TOWARDS ECSTASY Sarah McLachlan 2001
I play this album at least once a month. Every time someone else overhears it, they get hooked to Sarah McLachlan too.. "Ice Cream" was the first song I sang to my new born daughter, Ashling.

(9) US Peter Gabriel 1992
Forget about SO. This album goes a step further. "Loved to be loved" and "Blood of Eden" are fantastic ballads. Peter Gabriel is one of the most fascinating songwriters around.

(10) IN MY TRIBE 10,000 Manics 1987
I came across this band after hearing the fantastic "what's the matter here" playing in the background of a record shop. I then heard "like the weather", bought the CD and now I am one of their biggest fans. Natalie Merchant, the band's front member, writes brilliant and intelligent songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home